A Memory of Cain & My Need to Move On

A few days before Cain had passed away he must have had a chill because he was shivering. It was not like a seizure shake. It was rather chilly in our house. I remember Big M grabbing his sweater to put on him and me telling him not to. I just did not want Cain to freak out. Big M did not listen and when I came around the corner, this is what I saw. I had asked for a photo but I never saw him take it. When I was scrolling through the photos on my phone - this is what I found.



My big boy. How I miss him so. I instantly burst into tears.

I have made the decision to finally move on and remove their homes from the living room.

What once were dog "bedrooms" full of plushy furry sleeping necessities now remains an empty shell of the dog that used to live there. It is sad to walk past every day. I have taken all the mattresses out and put one in the bedroom and one here in my office - for Casey. She sleeps in the bed with me at night now so I have no need for doggie bedrooms anymore.

I can remember the first day I moved the dogs into the home with me. I moved in here with Big M and lil m a week before I brought the dogs. I did not want to shock everyone all at once. I remember how excited lil m was and how she would snuggle up with them in the cages.

The memories will always be in my heart. But these cages serve no purpose anymore.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. It's so hard losing a loved...whether it be human or an animal companion. So sorry for your loss. You certainly have adorable pictures that are sure to bring a smile for years to come when you reflect on the stories behind them, looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Bailey!

    Jessica, thank you for stopping by. It is hard. I have lost pets in the past, pets that meant the world to me. Cain signified a lot in my life. He entered my life at 6 months of age, right when I had just gotten married a few months before and we had just purchased our first house. Cain was with me through the divorce and the 1000 mile move. He witnessed a new relationship and another marriage. He was so much to me. There were times after the divorce when I did not have the money to take care of him and Casey. I struggled to feed them and worried I was not doing my best. I ate cheap junk just to make sure they had a bag of food. It was hard times. But, things got better and Cain had a good life. The best I could do for him. Plenty of room to run and play and even a little girl on the weekend to love him. He was my baby....he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so sad when we loose a family pet, they are more like family then a pet. I'm sure you will miss him, but at some time, you may find another love that you can love and care for. Cain will never be replaced, but you can still have joy in your heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have his 6y old sister and our 2yr old cat, Ziggy. I absolutely loved having these two Boxers as my best friends, but I have also come to realize they at this time in my life, and that could change, but Casey is enough for me. I thought she might need a new friend, but she is thriving as an only dog - I think because I work from home and we spend all day together. She also got pushed aside a bit these last few months because Cain was so sick. I worried and fretted over him so much. She did not get doggy depression -long-term. Maybe a few days. She still has a sad time here and there when she looks at the cages or goes outside and hes not there. I just don't see myself getting another dog. But, you never know, maybe in time that will change. Right now I have enough responsibility!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cain: One Year Ago Today

lil m has the sadz for Cain

I'm Sorry!!! Pet Update